Head of Design
The ideal candidate will be in NYC, but we’ll consider remote
Apply by emailing [email protected]
Antimatter is building a world for learning. That world...
- Is intensely visual
- Relies on creation instead of regurgitation
- Speaks internet
Why are we doing this? Because the internet is our primary culture now, and we can teach and learn so much better in the language and culture we speak everyday on the internet. We're literally rewriting the textbooks in memes, illustration, shitposts, song, and more.
Antimatter was inspired by the many great educational meme communities on the internet especially r/physicsmemes and @historyinmemes—as well as the use of memes in the classroom—see here, here, here, and here.
More broadly, we aim to support learning intense audiovisuals and the same language and culture learners use everywhere else on the internet. That means animation, video, shitposting and more. We want the next Hamilton to be produced on Antimatter. The throughline from memes to Hamilton? Learning delivered through contemporary language and culture.
We are early-stage but well-funded by top-tier investors. Our team is NYC and, as this is an expansive, creative endeavor, we greatly value in-person collaboration.
Here's a peek into how a physics class used Antimatter to explore how light is emitted from a light bulb.
We are looking for someone who aspires to own an entire product, hire and lead a team, and 10x as a designer and operator. We are ideally looking for an early/mid career IC or recent manager who is eager to own a new product/platform from end-to-end and build a team.
More on who you are:
- You want to have a world-thumping impact on how people learn.
- You love internet culture. A core principle of Antimatter is that internet is our primary culture now and you want to be a part of expanding that culture.
- Are on a mission to make a positive impact. We're here at Antimatter because there's nothing we'd rather do than making people smile and laugh while they grow as learners and as humans.
- You care deeply about your craft. You sweat every detail and organize your Figmas extremely well.
- Have been an integral part of a team that has built a successful consumer, learning or gaming product.
- You are a warm person that other people like to work and be with.
- You’re eager to work with colleagues who will challenge you.
- You want to build a great product so badly that you’re eager to talk to as many current and future users that you can.
- You love to learn so much that you’re going to dedicate the next chapter of your life to helping millions of people learn more effectively and enjoyably.
- Everything below makes you laugh and feel happy and optimistic
Your mission for the first two years
- Help our learning platform grow. We're in an early, closed alpha. We need you to push the product forward, helping users to discover new ways to create and find others who share their interest or need to learn a particular subject matter.
- Define a North Star for our mobile experience. Our early product is focused around creation and community-building on the desktop, but we will soon need to build a mobile-friendly consumption experience. You will be tasked with leading design thinking and execution around a North Star for that experience.
- Build a team. We are positioning this as a blank-slate type opportunity for an IC or recent manager who is ready to take the next step and build a design team.
Antimatter is a design-driven company. Our success relies almost entirely on figuring out the interaction models for learning via contemporary language and culture — that contemporary language and culture will come to dominate learning is not something that we ever question. In other words, our challenge as a company is primarily a design challenge.
Accordingly we're offering a substantial equity package to a Senior Product Designer/Head of Design who will lead design at Antimatter for years to come.
Our Values & Principles
We work hard because each of our individual goals are to:
- 10x in our craft
- 10x as operators
- Have a large, positive impact
- Lifted directly from Public.com's principles because we can't put it any better: “We run fast. We have to. So always organize your work while you create it. Name files correctly, comment your code, name layers in Figma, stay true to existing style guides. We’re able to run fast because we take those extra seconds in the day to day to stay organized.”
Aligning flow state with responsibility
- We hire people whose flow states align with what we need from a role and continuously align that flow with everyone’s responsibilities.
We trade in fully-formed ideas
- We don’t meander through half-baked ideas. We cut off spitballing conversations at the pass and set up meetings and supporting material to make decisions on the topic or idea. Meetings have well-reasoned, strong-ideas-held-loosely decisions presented at the top of meetings.
** Advisory for people who are early in the career **
If you’re worried that you don’t have the experience or chops, reach out. We’re eager to place bets on people early in their career, whether it’s for the role below or the roles that will be available soon.